Friday, January 18, 2008

Just Call Me Ginger

Holy Moly... I can't believe it. One month here and getting used to getting around on the Bart and MUNI and the different neighborhoods and whammo. Quite the monkey wrench thrown into the works to really mes things up for a bit.

Here's the scoop.

First lesson learned, double check your addresses when putting them into the trip planner, be specific. Wrong address in the system and I got off at the wrong stop. No problem, a quick call to headquarters and Brion repulls the exact address and lo and behold, another route all together. So, while hoofing it back to the Bart, while in the Mission district I avoided one bubbled up crack in the sidewalk only to bobble on another right next to it with my next step. Then as graceful as a ballerina in sand filled combat boots I teetered this way then that way and then bam, face first on the side walk. My first worry was my bad knee, (another story for another time). But that was fine, popped back up on my feet, brushed off, took a step, felt a slight twinge in my left foot but wasn't too bad. I could walk that off, I'm tough and the job fair was just a few stops away. Erg..

By the time I got off the Bart and climbed up 3 flights of stairs (the healthy thing you know - actually, couldn't find the nearest escalator) I knew something was wrong. I stopped at Burger King, they were selling whoppers there by the way, got a diet coke and called Brion. A little on the nervous side being in a new city and I didn't want him to freak out with the call from the emergency room, I waited for him and we went together. The cabbie was very nice, took us to just the right place and made sure we got in all right.

The wait wasn't that bad, just had to remind them that my name was still in the pile. They have this pre-check in thing to get your basics and get the requests for labs and xrays started as necessary. They gave me a bed, but I opted to stay in the chair since I would have to be wheeled around anyway, it was just easier for me. While we waited I perused through the biggest Vanity Fair issue ever, lamenting that I left the house without my latest book or my knitting. They had a very cool film noir tribute with some of my favorite actors. Oops... meandered a bit. So.. anyway... the xrays were quick and painless and the Doctor saw me very soon after they were completed. Yep.. broke a bone in the bottom of the left side of my left foot. That was most of the bad news. The good news, and trust me from experience this is good, no surgery required. Just time off the foot, special split and non flex shoe, ice it and keep it elevated. It should naturally pull back together in a few weeks.

So here I am, ensconced in the big comfy chair surrounded by my knitting, the cats and Brion's wonderful patient attention. I've already finished a few dishcloths and now I'm venturing out to try to some pattern stitches I've been saving. I've got a whole cone of white cotton I can make up for one of the ladies sending her stuff to Africa via a friend. No more talking about knitting a few cuddles/hugs for animals. I could also work on my PIF projects but no one's signed up yet (hint hint read a few previous posts). Now I can seriously start working on my stash. Oh.. and some pain killers that are dulling the pain, which I only have after hauling myself to the bathroom or bed.

I'm really disappointed that I couldn't visit the future in-laws this weekend. I was really looking forward to seeing everyone and getting out to see some sites. Now I have all the more incentive to get the apartment ready for their upcoming visits. I'm sure Brion will have some glamorous pictures of me and my cast and my knitting. LOL

1 comment:

Rena said...

Good luck on the healing of the foot. Been there, done that!